Saturday 19 January 2013

DIY Day - NO SEW Bina Wrap

I am a terrible sewer. I once tried to sew the thigh of a ripped pair of jeans (you know the rip I am talking about. The one that is directly a result of having big ol' thighs that rub together) and ended up sewing both legs completely together. When I saw this DIY tutorial on Pinterest, I was totally in love, and even better, I figured I could do it sans sewing.

I definitely haven't gotten batteries for my shitty camera yet, so I used my phone again. Apologies again.


I'm not sure how good of a DIY tutorial I can do, but with your patience, I hope to share some insights to the process.

I began with this tutorial. Amazing, but I wasn't sure why I was supposed to sew it. Maybe it was to make it lay correctly, or they couldn't find a piece of jersey wide enough. All I know, is it was extra work and I sure as hell wasn't going to attempt to make more cuts of my fabric than I needed to. If things get confusing, maybe check there.


I began with 3 meters of burn-out jersey knit fabric. I would NOT recommend the burnout. Go for a plain knit because I found the burn-out portion of the fabric was way too thin and I just know it is going to shred the first time I wear it out. It was 7$/m on sale for me. You can probably find it cheaper where you live, or online.


I had to go over to my Mum's to use her table. Look how cute she is knitting me a cowl in the corner. She's the bomb-diggity. I love her so much. 



To measure how long your fabric will need to be, just take the rough width of you body and times it by 5. Width is up to you, I kept mine super long. Most of the commercial Binas seem to be from the tots to the knees.

After all my cutting was done, I folded the fabric hot-dog style so I didn't have to cut as much for the sleeves.  To measure where to cut, I used my own body as a guideline again. The whole fabric is 5 x me long (Tim Gund would kill me) and the middle between the sleeve-holes should be 3 me's wide. On either side of the sleeve will be one me.

I cut in like a foot, or 30 cm.

The good thing about jersey is that you don't really have to worry about it fraying when you don't sew the cut ends. It just kind of curls after you stretch it a little. I like that.

I added no sew snaps. If I were to do it again, I would just tie where I wanted to join the ends. The snaps jut weigh it down. You'll need 4 snaps, two of each "gender". If you want to use snaps, get the no sew variety and refer to my diagram for where to put them.
 
 Here I am, in all my shitty DIY glory.  Here's a PDF of all the awesome things you can do with this piece of mighty material. I'll take a picture outside when it's brighter outside. (I live in the north. The winter provides us with very little sunlight.)

3 comments:

  1. I love your description of measurements, "like a foot" and "3 mes wide". I love any project that is completed with approximation. I have wanted one of these wraps forever, but I think they are too expensive. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got my Bina in the mail. I love it but I'm too curvy for the blouse. Look like a pig in a blanket. HA! I'm totally going to make my own!

    You ROCK!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you a lot .. the best blog that explain it easily

    ReplyDelete